PET GRIEF SUPPORT OF AMERICA
In this time of grief and sorrow it is important for you to
focus on the good times that you had with your loved one. Remember the good life that the two of you gave to each other, and although the time was too short, your beloved pet is at peace and resting.
There are some excellent books that are available for dealing with this situation. We have provided a listing of some of these books.
Some of the books may be available at Amazon. If you purchase from Amazon
through a click below, they will make a donation to the Florida Animal Health Foundation for each purchase. Thank you.
Pet Loss: A Thoughtful Guide for Adults and Children; Harper & Row; Herbert A. Nieburg & Arlene Fisher
The Loss of a Pet; Howell Book House; Wallace Sife, Phd
Children and Pet Loss; Marty Tousley
Cold Noses at the Pearly Gates; Gary Kurz
Old Dogs Remembered; Bud Johns
When Only the Love Remains; Emily Margaret Stuparyk
For Every Dog an Angel; Christine Davis
When Children Grieve - For Adults to Help Children Cope with Death, Divorce, Pet Loss, Moving or Other Losses; John W. James
Angel Pawprints: Reflections on Loving and Losing a Canine Companion; Laurel
Will I See Fido in Heaven? Scripturally Revealing God's Eternal Plan for his Lesser Creatures; Mary Buddemeyer-Porter
When Your Pet Dies; Diane Pomerance, Phd
Children and Pet Loss: A Guidance for Helping; Marty Tousley
Pet Loss: A Spiritual Guide; Julia A. Harris
Loving and Losing a Pet: A Psychologist and Veterinarian Share Their Wisdom; Howard Bronson
Journey Through Pet Loss (Audio Cassette); Deborah Antinori
Healing the Pain of Pet Loss: Letters in Memoriam; Kymberly Smith
Forever Friends: Resolving Grief After the Loss of a Beloved Animal; Joan Coleman
Pet Loss: A Death in the Family; Robert Pasick
Goodbye, Friend: Healing Wisdom for Anyone Who Has Ever Lost Pet; Gary Kowalski
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul; Dr. Marty Becker
Goodbye My Friend: Grieving the Loss of a Pet; Mary Montgomery
Saying Good-bye to the Pet You Love; Lorri A. Greene, Phd & Jacquelyn Landis
Some additional websites that may offer assistance and further insight include:offer assistance and further insight include:
Hotline phone numbers throughout the country that may be of assistance include:
- Florida Animal Health Foundation: (800) 798-6196 - Available 24/7; Leave Message and Counselor will Return call.
- Grief Recovery Hotline: (800) 445-4808 - M-F 9am-5pm PT
- Arizona: Companion Animal Association - (602) 995-5885 (24 hrs)
- California: U.C. Davis College of Veterinary Medicine - (530) 752-4200; (800) 565-1526 (M-F 6:30-9:30pm PT)
- Colorado: Colorado State University - (970) 491-1242 (M-F 9-5 MT)
- Florida: University of Florida - (904) 392-4700 x 4080 (M-F 7-9pm ET)
- Illinois: Chicago Veterinary Medical Association - (630) 325-1600 (leave voice-mail; calls returned between 7-9 pm; long distance calls returned collect)
- Indiana: Pet Loss Support Group - (317) 251-4028
- Iowa: Iowa State University Pet Loss Support Hotline - (888) 478-7574 (toll-free).
- Maryland, Virginia, DC: Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine - (540) 231-8038 (T/Th 6-9pm ET)
- Massachusetts: Tufts University - (508) 839-7966 (T/Th 6-9pm ET)
- Michigan: Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - (517) 432-2696 (T/Th 7:30-9:30pm ET)
- Minnesota: University of Minnesota School of Veterinary Medicine - (612) 624-4747
- New Jersey: PetFriends Inc. - (800) 404-PETS, (609) 667-1717 for local southern NJ calls. Callers may leave their number at any time; local calls will
be returned at no charge, long-distance calls will be returned collect.
- Ohio: Ohio State University Veterinary School - (614) 292-1823 (MWF 6:30-9:30 PM ET; voice mail messages will be returned collect.)
- Pennsylvania: University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine - (215) 898-4525
- Texas: United Way Helpline - (210) 227-4357 (7am-3pm CT)
- Great Britain - 0891 615285
- Society for Companion Animal Studies. Fee: 49p/minute Monday thru Friday 8am-6pm; 39p/minute otherwise. Offers a booklet titled "Death of an Animal
Friend" for £ 2.50; write SCAS, 10b Leny Rd., Callander, Scotland FK17 8BA.
Should you wish to correspond by e-mail with a Florida Animal Health Foundation volunteer counselor, you can send an email to the address below, and a volunteer
will respond via e-mail to your comments and concerns.